I made this recipe on a whim one evening when I just had the feeling to cook. I knew I had some eggs, cheese, and kale in the fridge, and I just picked up some bacon from the store. We’d been having frozen breakfast sandwiches for breakfast and I wanted to switch it up! All of that led to my mini kale frittatas. I had a little trial and error in the steps, but I explain that in the instructions!
This recipe is extremely similar to a breakfast recipe/casserole that I’ve shared before. I love stuff like this because you make it at the beginning of the week and you can just pop it in the microwave in the morning when you’re in a hurry to get ready for work. This recipe is a great way to sneak in an extra vegetables like kale, spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers, or whatever you’re feeling like you might like with eggs. I have this really bad habit of buying a big bag of kale or spinach and letting it go bad before use it all, so I’ve been adding kale randomly into recipes all week so I don’t let any of it go bad. I have even been chopping it up, sautéing it, and adding it to our rice for dinner. Milton even seems to like it.
What you’ll need…
Whisk or Fork
12 cup muffin tin
Non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 package of bacon
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1/2 cups shredded cheese. I like Mexican blend style. Cheddar works
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices whole wheat bread (I like honey wheat)
- Place full package of bacon in the freezer for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- While the bacon is in the freezer, crack all eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk, incorporating plenty of air bubbles.
- Remove partially frozen bacon and cut into strips. I only used half of the package. Cook bacon strips in skillet. Tip: I save the bacon grease in a jar for later use.
- Chop the kale into small pieces. I used a pairing knife, but you can rip it with your hands.
- Add chopped kale, shredded cheese, and cooked bacon to eggs and mix. Salt and pepper to your preference. ((You’ll notice in my photos above that I did not add my bacon in this step. I regret that. This is how you should do it))
- Cut each slice of bread into 4 pieces to have a total of 12 squares of bread.
- Grease your muffin tin with nonstick spray. I recently started using an olive oil spray and I’ve really enjoyed it.
- Place one square of bread into each muffin cup of the tin and press/smush it a little bit.
- Pour your egg mixture evenly into each muffin cup.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes. Keep an eye on it.
1 Mini Kale Frittata = 98 calories
Nutrition information calculated using MyFitnessPal.com
Shop the post
Find more recipes on the This Bitch Can Cook tab.